2.21.2012

The Language of Sewing

Hems. Tension. Darts. Inset sleeves. Pleats. Notions1. A-line. Remnant. Basting (and not as in a Turkey!) Bias. Blind-stitching. Spool.  Tracing. Interfacing. Ripper (of which I have become very familiar with through the years!) Gather. Lining. Seams. Patterns. Pinking Shears.

All these words and terms are old friends of mine.  I have neglected them in the last few years because other things in life became a higher priority, not to mention lack of time.  I realize now that much of it was my own tendency to become easily distracted and enamored by all things new or different.

It's not that I didn't realize the value of knowing how to take up a hem, mend a tear, sew on a button, or even sew an entire garment.  No, it was more about eating up life as fast as I could because with every passing year I felt the hand of the Grim Reaper tapping me a little harder on the shoulder, and I wasn't going down before seeing and doing all I could.

Now that I have come full circle, and am on the homestretch towards that "undiscovered country", I reflect on the skills of my youth.  I cannot fathom producing dresses, blouses, skirts, etc. as I once did, but I do love knowing that I could, if I had to.

Sewing is like a riding a bicycle, and getting back on the wheel, bobbin, foot, and feed would be easy as pie.  Oh dear, I am really mixing my metaphors!

 1 - Speaking of notions (i.e., buttons, trim, zippers, etc.), my grandmother and mother were very practical, economical women.  When a garment became irreparable, you didn't simply throw it away.  First, you stripped it of anything useful - old buttons, zippers, hooks and eyes, appliques, even collars, lace or ribbon.  Anything that could be recycled was carefully removed and stored for possible future use.

7 comments:

  1. I have a long list of projects waiting, and boxes full of fabric. Never seem to have the time even to hem things. I really want to sew again, and make my clothes fit better. It's really a quick clean up--don't know why it feels so complicated. I think the more crowded my apartment got, the harder it became to cut out a pattern & that's when my skills started to get rusty. When I finish a piece I always get such a rush of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could use Sajda as your inspiration and sew her some dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought of the same thing. After I get the St. Vincent Town Reunion project done, I will look into that. :)

      Delete
  3. Funny thing how life takes us around.....I have just lately had the desire to start wearing dresses for everyday again. They are so cool and comfortable. I might even sew some, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about dresses. They can be very comfy :)

      Delete
  4. Well, I sure hope I can do some sewing. I will have to look at some of my stash. I have an inherited drawer full of old lace pieces, appliques, and bias tapes. I really must use them. Trisha, maybe I can contribute some pretty little bits of lace or ribbon for Sajda. I have seen some really cute hand made outfits at the flea market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you, Tess. I will keep that in mind - email me with what you find (colors, etc.) Thanks!

      Delete