3.16.2008

Irish Mouth Music


My Grandma Fitzpatrick, and my Mom Harriet, both would sing and whistle a lot as they performed their work during the day. It was a way to make the work less a drudgery, and help pass the time in a more pleasant way. A long tradition in many cultures, my Mom and Grandma would sometimes do it in a very specific manner known to many of Irish heritage; they were a kind of Irish 'mouth music', with much 'diddly dee'-ing and other sorts of amusing sounds. I always loved to listen to them and have attempted to recreate them, but I think I am a poor reflection of how they did it...

5 comments:

  1. I remember my grandfather many years ago used to hold me on his knee and sing a sort of "diddley dee" sort of tune that made me smile and laugh. When I got older and asked him about his family heritage he really did not know much about it. My relatives in Eastern North Carolina were not very historically minded. Later on I hear a recording of mouth music and have concluded that what my grandfather was singing was a remnant of ancient Irish traditions. His name was Gillikin and I have later found out that the family came to America in the 1700's from Ireland and I am sure this bit of heritage dates back. My grandfather was over 100 years old when he died in 1978, so that takes him back much closer to the old country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ed! Good to hear from you...I see from your blog you are a ham radio operator. I've been thinking of becoming one, but it's not a cheap hobby. Maybe one of these days. Even in this day and age of computer, if push came to shove, the ham operator could play a crucial role in emergency situations. Bless you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK on the ham radio. Actually, it can be a very cheap hobby. If you get involved with some local ham operators often people will lend you some spare equipment to get on the air. Very good used equipment can go for under $250 (sometimes well under). All you need then is a tree and some wire for an antenna and then"your talking to the world" from your own radio station!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed, there is a local group and I have thought about taking a class. I might just have to look into it again. How can I get in touch with you directly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's a pretty tune! Is there more of it?

    how neat you got to hear it first hand! Very cool. :)

    (found you by way of Brigid)

    ReplyDelete