1.03.2007

Mom's Plum Pudding


My Mom did a spectacular plum pudding* (which is somewhat similar to fruitcake...but not really...!) She was carrying on a tradition that her mother, my Grandma Fitzpatrick, had done before her.

She always shopped for the best suet fresh from the butcher's, candied fruits, and whole nuts to grind, over in Emerson. She canned some every year, and it was like wine, getting better the older you let it sit. At Thanksgiving or Christmas, we'd pop open a jar, steam the pudding until it was warm and plump, and then pour one of the two homemade sauces she made - lemon and caramel/butterscotch over the top of each serving - it was amazing. Sometimes, she even hid a coin in one of the servings to make it more fun!

* AKA Christmas Pudding; while my mother's pudding was heavenly, not all puddings are created equal...

1 comment:

  1. Comments made about this post on Facebook today...too good not to save here!
    ______________

    Betty Jeanne Thorsvig (my sister)- Did you know I have the complete recipe in Mom's handwriting and just talked to Britton about it a few days ago. We are going to make - hopefully before fall. Can hardly wait!

    Trish Short Lewis - I'm thrilled to hear it! I was afraid it would die off with her generation. Can you send it in an email to me? Bill was very interested in it. If we make it, it'll likely be thanks to him...lol

    Trish Short Lewis - P.S. I always loved how Mom would prepare it after breaking open a jar (she seemed to love it the older it got, the better!) by steaming it...it would get it so nice and fluffy and moist that way! And of course the from total scratch sauces (lemon and caramel)...nummy! I could never eat a lot of the pudding (even as a kid, way too rich for me) but somehow I could manage a lot of sauce...LOL

    Trish Short Lewis - One more thing...Even in Mom's day back in 60's and 70's her heydey of making the pudding, she had a hard time tracking down authentic ingredients but usually in the end could find them in Emerson...I know for a fact you still CAN get them, but you might have to mail order some from the internet. I realize you could make substitutions, but personally, I truly think the more you stick to the original ingredients, the better...

    Betty Jeanne Thorsvig - I have ALL the ingredients except the suet at the moment. We have a WONDERFUL hometown butcher market at the Fareway store (they even wear the little hats, lol) and I can get the suet there. :)

    Betty Jeanne Thorsvig - @Eva? Did you like it? If you did, you should get it and make it also to carry on the tradition. Britton likes it and will carry it on also.

    Trish Short Lewis - Good suggestion, Betty. :)

    ReplyDelete