6.24.2005

I grew up in 'the church'.

Someone from the area I grew up recently asked me,
"...One of the things I have been dying to ask you is how you were able to transcend the narrow world view of the Evangelical Free Church. My sisters are members and it seems to be a narrow, constricted and very boring way to live. I cannot imagine myself going to a Bible College or even spending one hour with this group. I really resent the way that the Republicans use the evangelicals. I cannot imagine how JC would be giving tax breaks to the wealthy, plundering the environment, or really any of the policies. How have you been able to find the balance and have an interest in books, art, etc. other than the Holy Book? My sister [censored] in particular sees everything through that lens, but [censored] at least does not press it on me. I would like to understand more about how one can be an evangelical and see other dimensions of life."
I answered him after some thought...
"I admit I'm not your average joe in the EFC church, but I know there are others like me in the church. I am not 'in' the church anymore, but still consider myself a Christian of sorts. Mostly out of habit, I admit. I mostly tell people that nobody knows anything and to say otherwise is pure arrogance. I think atheists are just as bad as fundamentalist anything else. 'Believers' can be very narrow-minded no matter what their agenda. One thing I liked about some of the stuff I grew up with was that there was truth in some of it that made sense to me then and now - 'all have sinned' - ain't it the truth!"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    Trishymouse!

    You are a wonder! I love what you've written here.

    It's about time someone called ALL these people on their stuff, especially the non-believers who seem to think that, because they don't believe, they can get off with bashing believers with complete impunity, without having to examine any of their beliefs at all. It's a vicious circle in our society, after all.

    Just because one doesn't believe in a deity, or doesn't commit oneself to the social/theological institution of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or any of their variants, does NOT mean that they do NOT have fallacious beliefs, by any means.

    I want to explore these thoughts further, but for me, here isn't the place. Thanks for bringing up an important issue.

    ReplyDelete