8.07.2020

Penmanship

I learned how to handwrite in 1967 in third grade.  Mrs. Knutson was our teacher for that year, and I remember her as a competent, pleasant woman but one that you just felt inclined to pay attention to.  I became very engaged and fascinated with learning to write in longhand.

The class was called Penmanship, and the activity itself was called handwriting.  I never heard it referred to as cursive until my own children were in school many years later...

An actual example of my handwriting from 1967 that my mother kept...

And another thing, what is the deal with how kids nowadays hold pens and pencils? It looks downright awkward. No wonder that many of them can't write very well! I also can't help wondering if they're not even making excuses for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment